Monday 23 July 2012

a first, an end and the future.

A lot has happened since I last updated this.

Primarily, uni has now finished. It was a sprint to the finish line, bringing prolonged stress and ended with back to back all-nighters. I didn't manage to finish everything, but my expectations within the limits probably weren't all too realistic. Before handing in coursework, we had to prepare and mount our degree show as part of assessment...which brought it's own trials and tribulations.

All the hard work paid off though as I graduated with first class honours. A relief to say the least, and an incredible feeling to achieve what I set out for from the beginning.

Degree show and D&AD's New Blood exhibition in London followed. The former was somewhat of an anti-climax, probably because of the collective exhaustion post hand-in. Didn't particularly like my space in the end either. Some brilliant work was exhibited though and I think Communication Design really pulled it out the bag. It certainly seemed to be the visitor favourite.

The latter began a matter of days after the degree show ended - no rest for the wicked - and a group of 19 of us made our way down. I have mixed feelings about my experience of New Blood. I think it's a useful event with brilliant opportunities, however you can't escape the university favouritism/snobbery. It quickly became a running joke (thinly veiling frustration) when we saw visitors look at our university label and move on without really acknowledging any of the work. It was also a harsh reminder of how much time, effort and money universities put into the stands, all with experienced guidance from tutors. We, unfortunately, had the funding cut and tutors with, er, limited investment. Underdogs we may have been, but we pulled it off and quite a few of us were approached. Didn't help that I had a bad case of the flu in the latter days of the trip which knocked me out of the game. Typical. Although, great times had with the course mates and some agency offers acted as a thick silver lining.

Graduation took place last week and it was a somewhat surreal experience. That was the definitive end to an era, but didn't feel like a goodbye. Silly hats and gowns distracted the emotions, I guess. Too concerned about falling over on stage for reality to kick in. My three remaining grandparents attended the ceremony as my parents couldn't be there (one deceased, one...holidaying) and a nice day was had.

So that's that. The line has been drawn under university and I'm sorting out my next move(s). Currently back at BMB in London for a few weeks, and beyond that - who knows. Playing it by ear.

Still updating my website with work from this year, but most of it is up:


Over and out.

0 comments: